Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Toodeepism" - New Insight Into Procrastination


For a long time now, I have been using the excuse of being too busy to justify my last minute dash to prep for deadlines.

I haven't been that busy this week, so being too busy no longer qualifies as an excuse for my last-minute-ness.

This week's last-minute dashes for deadlines (for 3 events) are helping me to realize that my so-called procrastination is more about trying to go deep than being lazy or fearful. No doubt, there is some fear affecting the speed of my prep, but there is this other thing -- wanting to go much deeper with my materials than time would allow.

It's the same process as when I am late for appointments. When I am doing something (e.g. writing this post), I want to do as good a job as time will allow -- or so I delude myself into thinking. More often than not, I want to read up on this and that and go much deeper than time will allow for the project.

I think I will call this phenomenon: toodeepism.

Do you have any thoughts or insights from your own experience related toodeepism?

No comments:

Post a Comment